SPEAKING FEE RANGE ** Please note that while this speaker’s specific speaking fee falls within the range posted above (for Continental U.S. based events), fees are subject to change. For current fee information or international event fees (which are generally 50-75% more than U.S based event fees), please contact us.
$30,000 to $50,000
BOOK JOANNA BARSH
SPEAKING FEE RANGE*
$30,000 to $50,000
Book Joanna Barsh
- A member of the U.S. State Department's International Council on Women's Business Leadership, Joanna helped launch programs to develop women leaders globally.
- Utilizing her Centered Leadership approach, Barsh teaches the skills, tools, and practices - along with stories that inspire and encourage collaboration - to accelerate development of aspiring leaders.
- Based on five years of proprietary research, Barsh shares her remarkable discoveries about what drives and sustains successful women leaders.
A noted author, expert and speaker on leadership best practices, Joanna Barsh is Director Emeritus at McKinsey & Company, where, for over 30 years, she served media, digital, consumer, direct marketing and retail clients, facilitating strategic growth and performance transformation initiatives.
Barsh is also the bestselling author of How Remarkable Women Lead and Centered Leadership: A Practical Field Guide for Leading with Positive Impact, Fulfillment, and Resilience.
At McKinsey, Barsh headed the Leadership Development Program and launched the Centered Leadership project to help develop leaders able to create significant change in today’s complex and changing world. Centered Leadership includes the exercises, tools and practices used in McKinsey internal and client programs.
Barsh is a strong advocate for women. Invited by Mayor Michael Bloomberg in 2002, Joanna served as a Commissioner on Women’s Issues for the City of New York. She led ground-breaking research for The Wall Street Journal’s “Women in the Economy Task Force” in 2011 and 2012 and for the U.S. Chamber of Commerce in 2013.
As a popular keynote speaker, Joanna Barsh has spoken at Fortune’s Most Powerful Women summit, DB’s Women on Wall Street and Women in Asia summits, the EVE Programme, and at MAKERS2014, as well as for Fortune 100 clients including Novartis, Google and Microsoft.
A noted leadership expert, she has worked with business and government leaders globally, including Australia, Belgium, China, India, Indonesia, Jordan, Malaysia, Norway, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, and Spain.
Barsh also serves on the Genesco board and Sesame Workshop (formerly the Children’s Television Workshop).
She holds degrees from the University of Pennsylvania, the University of Chicago and Harvard Business School, where she was a Baker Scholar.
Joanna Barsh utilizes her extensive research coupled with decades of leadership experience at McKinsey & Company to deliver dynamic, insightful and practical presentations, tools, and clear approaches for how men and women can transform their leadership to create positive impact, resilience, and fulfillment for themselves and others in their organization.
Barsh’s experience has been into practice in dozens of training programs across the world. Her keynote presentations provide her audiences with a route map to follow the five crucial aspects of Centered Leadership that will enable them to discover their strengths, develop relationships and be as productive as possible.
Through her research, Barsh discovered that all remarkable women have three preconditions: talent, a desire to lead, and tolerance for change. They also had the five dimensions for what she terms Centered Leadership. When paired with these five elements of Centered Leadership—meaning, framing, connecting, engaging, and energizing— the resulting confluence is the recipe for exemplary leadership.
Barsh also speaks specifically on the ways in which women attain and retain leadership positions and shows her audience that they have the power to choose success.
Moving Mountains Quickly: The Centered Leadership Project
Based on ten years of research and dozens of training programs globally, this lecture equips audiences with a tool kit of practices based on the five dimensions of Centered Leadership:
- Meaning: finding and using strengths on a path to living into one’s leadership vision
- Framing: learning to manage feelings and actions in difficult situations to lead in one’s most resourceful state
- Connecting: developing relationships, forming communities and cultivating sponsors in service of one’s vision
- Engaging: stepping up to challenges and opportunities, taking risks and actions
- Energizing: managing one’s energy through recovery and renewal practices
This program is available as a keynote lecture, workshop, or longer program upon request.
How Remarkable Women Lead
In this lecture, Barsh offers a hopeful outlook and unique ideas about success. It’s the new “right stuff” of leadership, teaching participants self-awareness and their power to choose, offering practical take-aways and a road map to positive impact.
In 2007, Joanna Barsh led a team at McKinsey & Company to answer that very question. In the process, they uncovered what distinguishes leaders who are successful from those who achieve true greatness, developing an approach called Centered Leadership. They drew on research from across the academic fields of leadership, organization behavior, neuroscience, evolutionary psychology and positive psychology. In addition, Barsh interviewed over 160 leaders from many fields—including business, government and the arts—and from many countries. With quantitative research, the team learned that these leaders have mastered practices to find their balance in the midst of chaos and lead from their most resourceful selves, unleashing the potential of others. In 2009, Johanne Lavoie joined to lead development of programs that help executives build these capabilities. Their research and development work continues as more and more leaders experience Centered Leadership.
How Remarkable Women Lead
The remarkable discoveries about what drives and sustains successful women leaders.
Based on five years of proprietary research, How Remarkable Women Lead speaks to you as no other book has, with its hopeful outlook and unique ideas about success. It's the new "right stuff" of leadership, raising provocative issues such as whether feminine leadership traits (for women and men) are better suited for our fast-changing, hyper-competitive, and increasingly complex world.
Joanna Barsh and Susie Cranston establish the links between joy, happiness, and distinctive performance with the groundbreaking model of Centered Leadership.
The book's personal stories and related insights show you the magic that happens when you put the five elements of Centered Leadership–meaning, framing, connecting, engaging, and energizing–to work. They include:
- How Alondra de la Parra built on her strengths and passions to infuse her life with meaning and make her way in the male-dominated world of orchestra conducting
- How Andrea Jung, the CEO of Avon, avoided a downward spiral when the company turned down by "firing herself" on Friday and re-emerging on Monday as the "new" turnaround CEO
- How Ruth Porat's sponsors at Morgan Stanley not only helped her grow but were also her ballast for coping with difficult personal and professional times
- How Eileen Naughton recovered after losing her dream job, landing on her feet at Google and open to a new leadership opportunity
- How Julie Coates of Woolworth's Australia makes energy key to her professional success, with reserves for her "second shift" as wife and mother
How Remarkable Women Lead is both profoundly moving and actionable. Woman or man, you'll find yourself in its pages and emerge with a practical plan for breaking through at both work and in life.